Director of Worship
Position Overview: Liberty Community Church, a non-denominational, evangelical church in Lindenhurst, IL is actively seeking a Director of Worship to be a part of our family of believers, engaging and leading them in authentic worship. We are seeking a leader who professes a faith in Jesus Christ and His redemptive death and resurrection and who would help embody our vision of being “big enough to serve, yet small enough to be known”. This individual would be responsible for leading biblically rooted worship weekly, working alongside the worship leaders and band, utilizing a contemporary song set. In addition, the Director of Worship would be an integral part of the overall church leadership team. We’re looking for someone who is excited about the privilege of serving God through worship. Come worship with us!
• Song Management: The Director of Worship will work with the worship leaders to select biblically based, appropriate music for each Sunday worship set. In addition, this individual will maintain the master song list, trimming out unused songs and introducing new songs as appropriate. Other duties include communicating list of songs to team on a monthly basis and reporting songs to CCLI as required.
• Worship Practices and Services: The Director of Worship will develop, schedule and lead weekly practices and Sunday morning practices prior to the service, ensuring that the order of service is communicated to team members at least one week in advance. The director will arrive early enough to each practice to ensure all instruments and music is prepared prior to the start of practice. The director will lead all practices with a focus on authentic worship, helping the team to prepare their hearts and minds for the Sunday worship set.
• Instrumental and Vocal Proficiency: The Director of Worship will be proficient in at least one instrument, either guitar or piano and will have strong vocal abilities, including the ability to sing while playing. The ability to read music and play a variety of styles of music is also expected. A basic understanding of music theory will be helpful to the role.
• Worship Team: The Director of Worship will manage, coach and mentor the worship team. This leader will accept the team’s current skill level yet desire to help them improve and grow in their gifts. He or she will also look for ways to help the team grow and mature in their individual walks with Christ, by striving to keep the team grounded in authentic worship. This person would also be responsible for recruiting and auditioning new members as opportunities arise.
• Work alongside Senior Pastor: The Director of Worship will work alongside the Senior Pastor as a member of church leadership, casting a vision for congregational worship and assisting in the growth and development of Liberty Community Church. The Director and Pastor will meet weekly to discuss the prior service as well as the future visions for the church.
Qualifications and Abilities
• Proficient in at least one instrument, either guitar or piano with 5 years experience preferred.
• Vocal proficiency, including the ability to sing while playing.
• Ability to lead and work in a team environment.
• Experience playing and singing on a worship team, 3-5 years experience preferred.
• Familiarity with contemporary worship songs.
• Basic understanding of music theory.
• Passionate about worship and spiritually gifted to lead people into the presence of God through worship.
Weekly Time Commitments (Typically 10 hours a week)
• Selection of songs for Sunday worship -2 hours/wk
• Scheduling volunteers and creating master schedules – 1 hour/wk
• Publish weekly worship set – 30 mins/wk
• Conduct mid-week practice – 2 ½ hours/wk
• Conduct Sunday morning practice – 45 mins/wk
• New song selection and management of song list – 1 hour/wk
• Weekly meeting with Senior Pastor – 1 hour
• Additional time for personal practice is assumed as necessary is it is with all other team members.
Any applicant desiring consideration for this position should send their resume and Statement of Faith to Roger Bond, Senior Pastor, at email@example.com. Questions can be directed to Mr. Bond as well via his email address or phone number, 847-356-9336.